Memorial Day on Wyoming Avenue

Memorial Day on Wyoming Avenue

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Grandpa Eddie: Christmas 1906


When I first found the piece pictured below a month or so ago, my initial thought was that this was some type of work I.D. badge. Unlike many of the family mementos I am finding that others feel date back to as far as ~1780, but are not inscribed with an actual date, this item is clearly dated 1906, which would have made my great-grandfather Edward C. Williams 26 at the time.
 
I also remembered that E.C.W. worked for the Wales Adding Machine Company at one point, so everything fit together nicely as far as I was concerned.
 
I misplaced the "badge" for a few weeks, and had just about given up on looking for it when it resurfaced yesterday while looking for something else in our car's glove compartment.
   
When I showed it to my wife, and explained the significance of "Adder", she commented that it "looked like a Christmas ornament" and was probably a 1906 Christmas gift for the employees of WAMC. 
 
So much for my idea.....
 
Going forward, this century-old+ Christmas ornament will hang on our tree until it's time to pass it along to the great-great grandchildren of "Grandpa Eddie".
 
 
 
 
Wishing everyone all the best in 2014
 
Happy New Year!
 
с Новым годом
 
Peace
 
мир
     

No comments:

Post a Comment