Memorial Day on Wyoming Avenue

Memorial Day on Wyoming Avenue

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Kingston PA's Centennial - 1957


With the "July 1957" calendar from Roat Hardware ( incorporated in Kingston - March 1928 ) in the background, the first pic below is of my father when he was 27.

As part of Kingston's ( Luzerne County, PA ) Centennial Celebration that year, I recall my father telling me that the employees of the Kingston Cake Company ( a/k/a Blue Ribbon Bakery ) decided to grow beards and have a "Brothers of the Brush" contest to see who would most closely resemble some noteworthy historical figure. My father went for the Abraham Lincoln look.

There was a parade along Wyoming Avenue in October 1957, and my father can be seen at the extreme left margin in the third pic below.


 
 
 
Kingston PA Centennial Parade - October (?) 1957
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment